8 DAYS, 9 HOURS AND 6 MINUTES

Monday, June 29, 2009

Life is Good

Just returned from the RAAM banquet. What a nice evening. TeamCanBeVenture was awarded the Ian Sandbach Inspiritional Award. What an honor for our racers. Today was an unbelievable day. All of the planning, racing and hard work came to an end early this morning when TeamCanBeVenture crossed the finish line. What an accomplishment. The first handcycle team to complete RAAM in the allotted time.
We had a few speeches, many tears and a great time at the banquet.

I personally want to thank the entire crew and racers for the opportunity of a life time. The racer crews were unbelieveable. I don't think we lost more than 10 minutes due to wrong turns across the United States. The route is not interstate driving. You are on county roads, unmarked ranch roads and it takes total concentration to follow the route book and direct your driver who in turns directs your racer. You almost have to see it to believe it. I want to thank the racer navigators and the drivers for their devotion throughout the trip. Suzy/Joanna for Carlos, Mike/Billy for Patrik, Ralf/Chrissy for Vico and Joe/Joyce/Grace for Hans. The RV team was Alan/Martha. Our Penske truck driver most of the trip was Ron.
I want to thank the RV crew who spent countess hours preparing food, many times several different types for our racers, doing laundry sometimes 3 times in a 24 hour period. Assistaing in driving while racer crews slept. You have to crew RAAM to understand what really goes on. It takes all of these people to get the racers across the line. I think that Patrick said it correctly tonight. He said the racers got to do what they love. They rode their bikes day and night. The crews directed, fed and kept them comfortable. It was an honor for me to serve as Crew Chief. All of you made my job easy. Thank you so much.

Someone said tonight would you do this again. I think I would and I think several of the crew would also.

Now we start the returning of the vehicles and getting everyone home. I have made lifetime friends the past nine days. I was very fortunate to travel with two of my sons on this trip. For nine days I did not see the news, watch TV, read a newspaper or return phone calls to many friends. It was a trip of a lifetime and if you ever get the opportunity do this. You will not be sorry.

Thank you, Carlos, Patrick, Vico and Hannes for an adventure I will never forget.

Barb