8 DAYS, 9 HOURS AND 6 MINUTES

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Thursday Afternoon Update

We are in the Ozark Mountains. Some climbs but nothing like the Rockies. Looks like we are on schedule to cross the Mississippi River. Like any large family traveling we have had some up and downs. Carlos, Hannes, Patrick and Vico look really good. People along the way have been so kind it strengthens your faith in the American people.

The RV/Penske truck crew is very busy. Yesterday in a 24 hour period I was in 3 laundermats in three different cities. We passed a bicycle team yesterday and we were all very excited about it. I myself have found several places that I want to come back and visit.

We have seen one shining sea,

We have seen the spacious skies in Arizonia and New Mexico.

We have seen the amber waves of grain acroos the whole state of Kansas.

We have seen the purple mountain majesties above the fruited plain in Colorado.

Everytime we cross into a different state we all agree that when Katharine Lee Bates wrote the words to America The Beautiful she must have been doing RAAM.

The good thing is we are all still speaking to each other and still have our goal to reach the second shining sea in Annapolis.

Yesterday we were parked at a city park in some little town in Kansas. I was sleeping on a picnic table with my Brahmin handbag as a pillow. Made the whole homeless look real.

Janet, got your email, thanks for your support and keep following us.

It is amazing how 18 people (most had never met each other before) have learned each others likes, dislikes and what pushes their buttons. I lost my cool in the RV a few days ago and found that I can do that and we still laugh about it and get along. Before we left on this adventrue I apoligized to everyone that if I offended them any in way I was sorry.

Life is good on the RAAM road and I am so very proud of our racers and crew. This is the true endurance for all of us.

I am even thinking about volunteering to crew next year. Who know I might make this my retirement crew.

The RAAM officials have been outstanding along the trip. Their management team can be proud of the team that have put together to support this adventure.

Got to get a little sleep, will update you later.

Barb